- July Sandpit – Movement and Spectacle (Sunday 15th July): Come along to Holland Park (in the Orangery, between Kensington High Street and Notting Hill) from 2:00-5:30pm on Sunday 15 July, for a free afternoon of games around the themes of movement and spectacle. I love the Sandpit events, I’m hoping it will be good weather!
- Geeks of London Movie Club (Monday 16th July): We’re organizing the first GoL Movie club meetup! The idea is to meetup at Wagamama’s near the O2 for some dinner first and then to see The Amazing Spiderman at the Cineworld’s Skyscreen.
- London Web – Sidestep and Twist: Interesting looking meetup with James Gardner, author of the book Sidestep and Twist. I met James a few years ago when he spoke about innovation at Lloyds (where he worked at the time) at a GeekDinner I had helped organize.
- The Genius of Hitchcock (August – September): The BFI Southbank are showing all Hitchcock’s movies. Now I’ve only seen Psycho and Rear Window… *waits for people to get outraged*… Calmed down again? Which movies would you suggest I have to see?
- Summer School for Geeks – 11 New Sci-fi and Fantasy Books: Great list of books coming out this summer. I’ve already finished one of those and two are on my wish list, but I’ll have to check out the other ones.
- Video Games, I’ve Let You Down: Interesting post on explaining games to non-gamers.
- How Movie Theatres Should Be Laid Out: Harsh, but a part of me wishes that this was true.
- Interview with Text From Dog: I love Text From Dog! Some of his texts are brilliantly hilarious, and this interview with him gives us a better understanding of his psyche.
- Reddit Unlocks the Secret of Cryptic Subway Code: A homeless looking man hands a cryptic looking note and a $50 bill to a Reddit user, who then tries to figure out what the hell the code means.
- My #1 Cause of Back Problems: As usual, Cat vs Human is so spot on!
- Cosmo’s 44 Most Ridiculous Sex Tips: Made me laugh.
- Martin’s BarCamp Berkshire Photos: Martin always takes great photos and we asked him if he could take photos of all the crew during the weekend. The photos turned out great!
- Moneyball 2.0: How Missile Tracking Cameras Are Remaking the NBA: Great read on how analytics are changing basketball. Data mining FTW!
- Science Museum’s Codebreaker Challenge: Cute code breaking game to promote the exhibition about Alan Turing at the Science Museum.
- Paper Birds and Wildlife: Pretty birds and other animals made from only paper.
- A Geek Venn Diagram: I wasn’t expecting that: