Update: I’ve extended the signup date till Tuesday 14th (mainly because I won’t have time to send out the emails before then anyway). Don’t forget to fill in the signup form!
Some of you might remember that last year I organized a last minute Secret Santa for bloggers, and it turned out to be a lot of fun. There were about 16 people signed up and it was great reading about the different gifts people had received. Well, let’s do the same this year, but on Twitter!
So here’s the plan (for those of you who don’t know what Secret Santa is): all of the participants will be randomly assigned another Twitterer to send a gift to, and these assignments are kept secret until the gift has been delivered. So no one knows who their gift is coming from! The idea is to get inspired by your assigned person’s twitter/blog/whatever presence that person has online and get them a suitable gift.
Here are the “rules”:
1. Sign up and fill in all your details in this form before Sunday 12th 23:00 Tuesday 14th. Only sign up if you really plan to do this; I’d hate someone not ending up with a gift.
2. You must be a UK Twitterer with a public account. There should be enough “info” about you online for your secret santa to get you a present.
3. Gifts should be kept under £15 including shipping costs.
4. You’ll get an email around Monday 13th Tuesday 14th with the details of your assigned Twitterer.
5. Make sure your gift(s) are sent out before Christmas. They don’t necessarily have to arrive before Christmas, just sometime during the Christmas holidays.
6. Tweet about the cool gifts you receive! Use the hashtag #SecretSantaUK so that we can see the different presents people have received. If you have a blog, blog about your presents and tweet me (@mseckington) or email me a link (email@example.com). Also if you haven’t received anything by the 1st of January, email me and I’ll try to sort something out.
7. After your person has received and tweeted about their presents, feel free to reveal your identity. You don’t have to, if you don’t want to, but it would make it so much more fun if you get to connect with this person!
8. If you have any questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
That’s it! Feel free to Tweet, blog, spread the word about this; it would be great to have as many people as possible participating.
I’ll also be joining in on the fun of this. We’ve got a piece of software that should sort out the assignments automatically and send everybody the right emails. Plus I’ve got a Christmas Elf on hand to help out with the background details and check if everything runs smoothly; I won’t see who’s paired up with who or who has gotten me.