Miss Geeky Elsewhere
- Meet The Disrupt Europe London Hackathon Judges: Yep, I’m one of the judges at this weekend’s TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon. I’m looking forward to see what hacks people will come up with!
- For Ada Lovelace Day: the women who inspire us at FutureLearn: It was Ada Lovelace Day yesterday! I coordinated this post on the FutureLearn blog and wrote my own section about Paula Clerkin, who’s organising the upcoming Women In Tech conference at the University of Nottingham.
- 6 reasons we love our home at the British Library: I wrote this post 2 months back for the FutureLearn blog, but realised I had never shared it here. I love working form the British Library.
- TweetTracks: I attended and spoke at Hackference a few weeks back: a Friday conference followed up by a hackday in the weekend. I built TweetTracks, a Spotify playlist generated from your tweets, and it won the Best Contextual Experience Using the DataTXT APIs prize! More about that in a future post.
- WeddingLy.st: I created this hack at BattleHack last weekend together with Lily,
Kevin and Ian. It was so much fun working with them and although we didn’t win anything, I really love our idea.
- My DDD: Disney Driven Development slides:
- The Bézier Game: I’ve never gotten the hang of the Bézier tool in Photoshop; this game attempts to help you master it.
- IamA underwater archaeologist: Awesome reddit Q&A thread with underwater archaeologist Peter Campbell. After reading that, I wish I had his job.
- As A Father Of Daughters, I Think We Should Treat All Women Like My Daughters: “It didn’t always used to be this way. I used to only have sons. Things sure were different then. How merrily I used to drive down country lanes in my old Ford, periodically dodging off-road to mow down female pedestrians (you must remember I had no daughters then). Was what I did wrong? How was I to know? I had no daughters to think of.”
- Toothless by alicexz: Adorable painting of my favourite dragon:
- Cast as thou wilt: A look at who to cast for a potential Kushiel’s Legacy TV Show. I love the books, and it’s interesting seeing how other people imagine the characters.
- Tiny PMS Match: Fun Tumblr matching small everyday objects to their Pantone colours.
- Tampon Club: I was planning on doing something like this when I worked in a proper office, but can’t really at the British Library since we share our toilets with the public.
- Junior Designers vs Senior Designers: Interesting set of visuals to show the difference between the two.
- It Took Two Years To Make Final Fantasy VII’s Midgar In Minecraft: Woah. I’ve never wanted to play Minecraft before this, but woah. Here’s one of the screenshots:
- 2014 Ig Noble Prize Winners: my favourite has to be the “Response Behaviors of Reindeer towards Humans Disguised as Polar Bears”.
- 11 Must-See Agents of SHIELD Episodes You Have To Watch Before Starting Season 2: Want to start watching Agents of SHIELD, but don’t want to go through the entire (somewhat) boring first season? Here’s a list of which eps to check out.
- Collaborative User Testing: Less Bias, Better Research: Awesome post by my colleague Alla about the biases in user testing and how we deal with them.
- What It’s Like to Carry Your Nobel Prize through Airport Security: “And they’re like, ‘Uhhhh. Who gave this to you?’ ‘The King of Sweden.’”